6 Health Benefits of Golf
Posted by Trophyman on 10/16/2020 to
Do you eat, sleep and breathe golf?
As it turns out, golf is more than just a fun activity with friends. In fact, playing golf can actually improve your physical and mental health in a number of ways. If you want to learn more about the health benefits of golf, this one's for you. We're sharing six of the ways in which golf will improve both your physical and mental wellbeing.
- Mental Alertness. Anyone who is an avid golfer understands that golf is a game of strategy. Throughout the game, you're constantly strategizing in your mind how to move forward. In order to win, it's imperative that your mind remains sharp and that you practice your alertness. As we get older, it's crucial to exercise our mind in addition to exercising our physical body.
- Cardio. Are you looking to increase your weekly cardio activity? Health experts suggest men and women strive toward 150 minutes of moderate activity each week. In addition to moving your body and stretching, a round of golf provides a great opportunity for cardio. What does this mean for your next round? It's time to forgo the golf cart and commit to walking!
- Full Body Workout. Of course, there is lots of walking involved in the average golf game. But, golfers also happen to benefit from a full-body workout as well. Each golf swing will exercise everything from your arms and your back to your shoulders and your abdomen. When we consider the repetition involved in a round of golf, it's easy to see how each golf swing adds up. This is also a great way to stretch and encourage your body to move in alternate ways.
- Reduced Stress. When you're feeling blue, sometimes all it can take is a round of golf with your friends. Not only will you experience the physical benefits of exercise, but socializing with friends is also sure to improve your mood. When you pair this with a taste of fresh air and sunshine, it's easy to see why a round of golf will reduce your stress levels. Are you looking to make your golf tournaments with friends all the more fun? Look here for ideas.
- Live Longer. Who isn't looking to increase the longevity of their life? As it turns out, staying active on a routine basis is one of the best ways to prolong your life. In fact, studies have found that people who exercise for an hour each day have a 37% lower risk of premature death than those who don't. It's safe to say that your own wellbeing is reason enough to schedule another round!
- Low Impact. As we get older, staying active isn't always easy. The good news is that golf provides for a relatively low impact means of exercise. With this, our joints aren't subject to the same strain as they would be with an exercise such as running. This makes golf a fabulous way to stay active for nearly everyone.
- Friendships. Research has proven that people with a circle of friends live longer. So hang out with your friends, compete with a round of golf, and reap the physical and mental health benefits.
If you're looking to live a long and healthy life, it's time to increase your activity levels. For those that enjoy life on the golf course, you'll be pleased to know that the health benefits of golf are plentiful. From mental health to physical health, a simple round of golf on a routine basis is sure to keep you happy and healthy.